I’ll be honest: I am not a morning person. I can adapt just like anyone, but given the opportunity, my body will naturally migrate to a bedtime of 2am or later. In a city filled with young “slackers” like myself, where ubiquitous live music shows and other evening entertainment often don’t even commence until 10 or 11pm, and sunrises often indicate that it’s time for bed, I know my particular circadian rhythm is not unique. Let the rest of the world begin their daily rush at daybreak; Austin (or a good chunk of it, anyway) will wait until a more appropriate hour.
So while I have plenty of fellow night owls in my city, there is one issue that presents itself, especially as a vegan: food. When one wakes up late, it’s not uncommon for dinnertime to occur when the PM hours are in the double digits. Most veg-friendly establishments, especially during the week, close before 10pm. So what’s a quasi-nocturnal vegan Austinite to do?
Fortunately, when researching for this post, I came across a plethora of previously unknown options (though many of them only keep their doors open late on weekends). I drew upon my own experience a bit to compile this list, but the vast majority of it comes from the guides of Lazy Smurf, Capital City Bakery, VegAustin, and Vegans Rock Austin. Many thanks to them.
A few more disclaimers before I begin:
- For this post, “late-night” is defined as being open past 10pm, since most other places close at that time or earlier. They also only have to be open late one day of the week, though the weekends-only listings are marked with an asterisk for the purpose of clarity.
- All of these places can be categorized as “serves meat, vegan-friendly” unless otherwise noted. It looks like most of the fully veg and vegan places in town tend to close up shop early, unfortunately.
- For the sake of simplicity, I’ve only listed the hours that are relevant to this post. Some of the places listed may be open on other days in the week, but not after 10pm. Only the days that they are open late will be mentioned below.
- The hours and vegan-friendliness of these listings are, of course, subject to change. Contacting said establishments is encouraged, particularly once this blog post has aged. I have only dined at a handful of these establishments, so I cannot personally vouch for the quality nor the veganness of their dishes. These listings are for informational purposes only.
- By no means is this post meant to be exhaustive. If a certain place wasn’t listed, please do not hesitate to mention it in the comments.
OK, with that out of the way, let’s get started!
|Alamo Drafthouse||Hours vary; check website for showtimes||Chain of cinemas; full menu has a few vegan options|
|Fully vegan trailer outside Cheer Up Charlie’s. Cash only.|
|Asti Trattoria*||Fri-Sat 5pm-11pm||Italian, few options|
|Austin Java (Tarrytown)*||Fri 6am-12am
|All-veg cafe, vegan items marked.|
|Bananarchy*||Fri-Sat 12pm-12am||Chocolate covered bananas. Cash only. Closed during cooler months and bad weather.|
|Bennu||24/7||Café w/ a few vegan options|
|Black Star Co-op||Mon-Thu 4pm-12am
|Pub w/ a few vegan options|
|Blue Dahlia Bistro*||Fri 8am-11pm
|Bouldin Creek Coffeehouse||Mon-Fri 7am-12am
|Popular vegetarian restaurant|
|Clay Pit*||Fri-Sat 5pm-11pm||Indian|
|Conan’s Pizza||All locations:
|Deep dish pizza w/ Daiya|
|Congress*||Fri-Sat 6pm-11pm||Fine dining on the bottom floor of the Austonian|
|Fire and Soul||Mon-Fri 7am-12am
|Trailer with vegan options|
Late night menu after 10pm
|Bar with vegan friendly menu|
|Guero’s Taco Bar||Thu-Fri 11am-11pm
|Mexican, has a vegan menu|
|Hoboken Pie||Mon-Fri 11am-3am
Sat-Sun 12pm- 3am
Delivery orders taken until 2:30am
|NY-style thin crust pizza w/ Daiya or tofu ricotta option|
|Hot Dog King||Thu-Sun 8pm-3am||Hot dog cart on Red River|
|Kerbey Lane Cafe||24/7||Diner, has a vegan menu|
|La Condesa||Thu-Sat 5pm-11pm||Upscale Mexican, off menu vegan platter available|
|Me So Hungry||Tue–Wed 11:30am-12am
|Asian fusion trailer outside Cheer Up Charlie’s|
|Mellow Mushroom||Tue-Thu 11am-11pm
|Pizza chain, serves Daiya|
|P.F. Chang’s||Sun-Thu 11am-11pm
(Arboretum location closes at 10pm)
|The Parlor||Mon-Fri 11am-12am
|Local pizza joint, serves Follow Your Heart|
|Polvo’s||7am-11pm, 7 days a week||Mexican|
|Sagra*||Fri-Sat 4pm-10:30pm||Italian fine dining, has a vegan menu|
|Snack Bar||Mon-Fri 11am-11pm
|Brunch, diner fare|
|Mexican, marks vegetarian items on menu|
|Thai Kitchen||Sun-Thu 11am-12am
|Thai Passion||11am-3am, 7 days a week||Thai|
|Uchi + Uchiko*||Fri-Sat 5pm-11pm||Upscale sushi place, accommodates vegans.|
|“Detroit-style” pizza trailer, serves Follow Your Heart|
|Whole Foods Market (Downtown)||8am-11pm, 7 days a week||Austin-based natural foods supermarket behemoth|
To sum it all up: There are a number of options for the late-night herbivore, but they drop off precipitously as the night goes on. Several restaurants are open until 11pm or midnight (particularly on weekends), bars and nearby trailers are there until 2am, and it’s largely 24/7 joints thereafter. If you get the munchies at three in the morning, and you don’t feel like making something yourself or going grocery shopping, I hope you like Kerbey Lane or Bennu!