Austin Vegan Cooking Classes

Written by

The holidays always get me in the mood to cook up a storm. I stock up on flour, sugar and spices and go to town. So when I was invited to try out a gluten-free, vegan holiday cooking class from Kaylee, the amazing baker at Thrice Cafe/Thai Fresh, I jumped on it. I’d never baked with gluten-free flour before, but I’d certainly eaten enough of Kaylee’s delicious desserts to know that I’d like it. I was not disappointed. I won’t give away Kaylee’s secrets, but let’s just say that she’s got quite a few tricks up her sleeve, and I walked away with not only some amazing gluten-free recipes, but general vegan baking tips that I’ll use forever.

With one class under my belt, I started to look into what other classes I might find around town, and was surprised at how many there were in just the next few months. From Kaylee’s gluten-free vegan holiday baking class, to tempeh holiday appetizers and artisan vegan cheeses, Austin’s got your vegan cooking classes covered. Sharpen up those cooking skills before holiday potlucks, pickle some beets to give as gifts, or take a class just to treat yourself. With prices ranging from $5 to $79, there is something for everyone. Check out some of these upcoming classes at Thrice/Thai Fresh, Natural Epicurean, Whole Foods Market, and in.gredients:

Gluten-Free Vegan Cupcake

Gluten-Free Vegan Mint Chocolate Brownie

Thrice:
Holiday Baking: Vegan and Gluten Free
Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 4:00 PM
Get ready for the holidays with this class. Impress your family and make these vegan and gluten free treats for them. Featuring pumpkin cupcakes with spiced buttercream and candied pecans, no-bake peppermint brownies, and oatmeal cranberry and white chocolate chip cookies.
Disclaimer: Thai Fresh is not a certified gluten free facility.
Cost: $68

Note: Kaylee’s planning more gluten-free vegan baking classes at Thrice, and Central Market, so keep your eyes on the calendar for future events.

Simple Thai Vegetarians
Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 6:00 PM
These dishes are simple but packed with flavors. The class will explore different types of protein substitution including soy curls, fresh and fried tofu and seitan. Including fried tofu with sweet and sour sauce, triangle tofu stew, green curry w/ seitan and butternut pumpkin, and spicy soy curls basil.
Cost: $65

Natural Epicurean:
Healthy Holiday Baking
Tue, Dec 03, 2013 from 6:30 PM - 9:00 PM
Turn your holiday baking into a time for delicious and nutritious treats and sweets. Join us for a hands-on holiday baking class with Chef Inge Bothma (of Happy Vegan Baker!). Chef Inge will be sharing recipes for cakes, puddings, cookies, and warming beverages, all with a holiday twist.
Cost: $69

Beginning Knife Skills
Tue, Jan 21, 2014 From: 6:30 PM - 9:00 PM
It’s no secret that the number one tool in the kitchen is the knife. And since knives provide the foundation for good food, it’s essential for every cook to understand how to get the most from this indispensable tool. In this all-important class, you’ll learn all about knife selection, maintenance, and usage. You’ll also discuss and practice proper knife care, knife handling and safety, and knife cuts. From learning a simple dice to producing a chiffonade, you’ll gain the skills you need to take your cooking to the next level.
Cost: $69

Artisan Vegan Cheeses
Tue, Feb 04, 2014 From: 6:30 PM - 9:00 PM
Join Vegan Chef Inge Bothma for an exploration into the world of vegan cheeses. This part demo & part hands-on class will walk you through the process of making plant-based cheeses as the perfect substitute for the less than healthy traditional cheeses. Participants will learn about making and using rejuvelac, the culturing process and fermentation, as well as making a quick & easy sun cheese, made with sunflower seeds and garlic.
Cost: $79

Whole Foods:
Lunch Express: Tempeh Holiday Appetizers
Fri, Dec 20, 2013 From: 12:00 PM-1:00 PM
Let ​tempeh ​tempt ​you ​away ​from ​your ​busy ​day! ​Relax ​and ​enjoy ​a ​vegan ​lunch ​while ​Beth ​and ​Becky, ​mother-daughter ​owners ​of ​The Hearty Vegan, ​demonstrate ​how ​to ​make ​a ​variety ​of ​holiday ​appetizers ​with ​tempeh. ​Menu: ​Asian ​Meatballs; ​Lemon ​Ricotta ​Redemption; ​Barbecue ​Tempeh ​Skewers; ​Tempeh ​Crostini.
Cost: ​$20

in.gredients
Pickling Beets Workshop
Sat, Nov 30th, 2013 From: 2:00 PM-4:00 PM
Curious about canning but not sure where to start? Join Kate Payne, from Hip Girl’s Guide to Homemaking, for an afternoon canning workshop. This workshop will focus on the basics of pickling, and you’ll leave in.gredients with pickling knowledge AND a bunch of beets so you can try your hand at canning when you get home. Pickled beets make for great holiday gifts, and we will have everything available for purchase in store. Another great reason to join us? You can sip on local beer and wine while you learn about pickling. Winning all around.
Cost: $5

4 comments

1. Sachiko

Hi

I am really interested in your school.
    I am Sachi.I am sending you email from Japan.
    I have a plan to study vegan food abroad for 6 months. I had cancer 3 years ago, but the cancer I got was gone with changing food etc… So I would like to show many people that natural food is good for health.

The purpose is going to cooking class.

I would like to learn how to cook and get a certificate.
    I would to learn nutrition of natural food if it is possible.
    I would like to learn gluten free sweets and clorful sweets.

Could you tell me your school can do above these?

Thank you for reading.
    I hope I can get response soon.

Best wishes,

Sachi

• Marie

Hi Sachi,

I’m glad you found our blog all the way from Japan, but we don’t actually run any vegan cooking classes ourselves. I think you would probably be very interested in the Natural Epicurean cooking school here in Austin though. I highly recommend contacting them for more information. Best of luck in your search for cooking schools.