Guide to Austin Late Night Vegan Food
While there are plenty of night owls in this city, there is one issue that presents itself, especially to vegans: food. When one wakes up late, it’s not uncommon for dinnertime to occur when the PM hours are in the double digits. Most veg-friendly establishments, especially during the week, close before 10pm. So what’s a quasi-nocturnal vegan Austinite to do?
Fortunately, there are many late-night options, as you can see below. A few disclaimers before we begin:
- For this post, “late-night” is defined as being open past 10pm, since most other places close at that time or earlier. They also only have to be open late one day of the week, though the weekends-only listings are marked with an asterisk for the purpose of clarity.
- All of these places can be categorized as “serves meat, vegan-friendly” unless otherwise noted. It looks like most of the fully veg and vegan places in town tend to close up shop early, unfortunately.
- For the sake of simplicity, we only list the hours that are relevant to this guide. Some of the places listed may be open on other days in the week, but not after 10pm. Only the days that they are open late will be mentioned below.
- The hours and vegan-friendliness of these listings are, of course, subject to change. Contacting said establishments is encouraged, particularly if it’s been a while since this guide was last updated. We have only dined at a handful of these establishments, so we cannot personally vouch for the quality nor the veganness of their dishes. These listings are for informational purposes only.
- By no means is this post meant to be exhaustive. If a certain place wasn’t listed, please do not hesitate to let us know.
OK, with that out of the way, let’s get started!
|Alamo Drafthouse||Hours vary; check website for showtimes||Chain of cinemas; full menu has a few vegan options|
|Home of the famous Arlo’s Bac’n Cheezburger|
|Asti Trattoria*||11pm, Fri-Sat||Italian, few options|
|Rainey Street bar serving vegan tempura-battered sausage.|
|Bananarchy||12am, Fri-Sat||Chocolate covered bananas. Cash only. Closed during cooler months and bad weather.|
|Baton Creole||11pm, Sun-Thu
|Cajun food trailer serving tofu jambalaya on a stick and vegan beignets on a stick. Rotating specials are often vegan.|
|Bennu||24/7||Café w/ a few vegan options|
|Black Star Co-op||12am, Sun-Thu
|Pub w/ a few vegan options|
|Blue Dahlia Bistro*||11pm, Fri-Sat||“European-style” fare|
|Bouldin Creek Coffeehouse||12am, 7 days||Popular vegetarian restaurant|
|Clay Pit*||11pm, Fri-Sat||Indian|
|Conan’s Pizza||All locations:
|Deep dish pizza w/ Daiya|
|East Side King||2am, 7 days (Liberty, Thai-Kun, Cheer Up Charlie’s)||Trailer with multiple locations; vegan options vary by location.|
|Fire and Soul||12am, Mon-Fri
|Trailer with vegan options|
|Bar with vegan friendly menu|
|Golden Spike Rail Cart||10pm, Mon-Thu
|All-vegan comfort food trailer.|
|Guero’s Taco Bar||11pm, Thu-Sat||Mexican, has a vegan menu|
|Hoboken Pie||2:30am, 7 days||NY-style thin crust pizza w/ Daiya or tofu ricotta option|
|Hot Dog King||3am, Thu-Sun||Hot dog cart on Red River|
|Kerbey Lane Cafe||varies; most locations open 24/7||Diner, has a vegan menu|
|Love Balls||12am, Mon-Sat||Japanese street food with several clearly marked vegan options.|
|Michi Ramen||12am, Tue-Sun||Ramen place with veggie broth and vegan noodle option.|
|The Parlor||12am, Mon-Fri
|Local pizza joint, serves Follow Your Heart and homemade mock meats|
|P.F. Chang’s||11pm, Sun-Thu (Downtown location only)
|Polvo’s||11pm, 7 days||Mexican|
|Quack’s||11pm, 7 days||Bakery with several vegan options.|
|Sagra*||10:30pm, Fri||Italian fine dining, has a vegan menu|
|Snack Bar||11pm, 7 days||Brunch, diner fare|
|Sweet Ritual||11pm, Fri-Sat (seasonal hours)||All-vegan ice cream parlor.|
|Takoba*||11pm, Fri-Sat||Mexican, marks vegetarian items on menu|
|Thai Kitchen||12am, Sun-Thu
|Uchi + Uchiko*||11pm, Fri-Sat||Upscale sushi place, accommodates vegans.|
|Via313||12am, Mon-Wed (Oak Hill open till 12 7 days)
2am, Thu-Sat (Rainey St. until 1am)
12am, Sun (Except Rainey St.)
|“Detroit-style” pizza served at two trailers and a brick-and-mortar in Oak Hill, serves Follow Your Heart|
|The Vegan Yacht||12am, Mon-Sat||All-vegan trailer with bar food menu.|
|Wheatsville||11pm, 7 days||Deli closes at 9pm, but grab-n-go prepared foods are always available.|
|Whip In||12am, 7 days||Bar serving Indian food|
To sum it all up: There are a number of options for the late-night herbivore, but they drop off precipitously as the night goes on. Several restaurants are open until 11pm or midnight (particularly on weekends), bars and nearby trailers are there until 2am, and it’s largely 24/7 joints thereafter. If you get the munchies at three in the morning, and you don’t feel like making something yourself or going grocery shopping, we hope you like Kerbey Lane or Bennu!