– New events on the calendar: Including the Nomad Dosa Grand Opening Party, Happy Herbivore Meetup, Mercy for Animals Volunteer Orientation and a special SXSW Engine 2 Diet potluck!
– ATX Vegan Drinks event is up for this month, and it’s gonna be GREAT! We’ll be hosting this months event with Texas VegFest, and holding a raffle for Compassion Over Killing. Hope to see everyone there!
– Vegan congressman Dennis Kucinich lost the Ohio primary election for the first time in 16 years.
– Spring has sprung! It’s my favorite time of the year to stuff my face with chocolates made into all sorts of adorable (though not particularly vegan) shapes – like eggs and bunnies! I always feel a little guilty when my chocolate bunny no longer has ears, and then even worse when he no longer has a head, but that only lasts so long, as he soon completely disappears into my belly. Vegansaurus has a roundup of some vegan-friendly candy companies to complete your Easter basket (or for whatever secular reason you have for devouring pounds of chocolate).
– Jews are in the house! We blogged about HEB’s local kosher section. Allison’s Gourmet has a great post up about a compassionate passover. Mayim Bialik (better know as the star of the TV show Blossom) launched a new center for Jewish vegans, The Shamayim V’Aretz Institute. The LA Times had an interesting article about how you should honor Queen Esther by going vegan for Purim – I think that sounds like a great idea!
– The most exciting news to come out of Natural Products Expo West – awesome Austin vegan company Food for Lovers launched 3 new products! The new products include a mild version of their already amazing queso (targeted at big wimps like myself), a chipotle mayo, and a country gravy. I’m going to get a head start on my spring cleaning, and make some room in my kitchen cupboards for all these amazing new products!