– Green Island Catering announced their Third Annual Vegan Party Barge! Save the date for Saturday, September 1st. I missed the boat last time (pun intended), but I won’t let that happen again! Space is limited, so make sure to secure your spot by following the instructions on the invite on Facebook.
– Feeling active this summer? Vegan or veg-friendly? Join the Tofu Power kickball team! The season starts in mid-July and games are on Sundays in South Austin. They need 20 players to complete a team, so sign up today!
– Wheatsville announced their plan to launch a 2nd location in South Austin on South Lamar. This second store is just the start of Wheatsville’s expansion plans, and they hope to have as many as 5 Wheatsville locations open within the next 10-15 years. There will no longer be a popcorn tofu shortage in South Austin.
– Christy Morgan (aka The Blissful Chef) is moving to Austin! She wrote all about the upcoming move, and how great Austin is, on her blog TheBlissfulChef.com. Christy and her awesome cooking skills will be an exciting addition to the Austin vegan scene. I look forward to taking one of her cooking classes some day soon.
– The next ATX Vegan Drinks will be on Friday, June 8th at Cheer Up Charlies! We’re so excited to have Rabbit Food Grocery and Capital City Bakery join us again this month! As always, there will be tons of food to choose from, as well as alcoholic and non-alcoholic drink specials. RSVP on Facebook, and make sure to come by and say hi to me!
– Thom Yorke of Radiohead, a long-time vegan, was seen eating at Austin’s very own Bouldin Creek Cafe (twice!) and Snack Bar. The man clearly knows where to get some awesome vegan food.
– New events on the calendar: Including the Nomad Dosa Grand Opening Party, Happy Herbivore Meetup, Mercy for Animals Volunteer Orientation and a special SXSW Engine 2 Diet potluck!
– ATX Vegan Drinks event is up for this month, and it’s gonna be GREAT! We’ll be hosting this months event with Texas VegFest, and holding a raffle for Compassion Over Killing. Hope to see everyone there!
– Vegan congressman Dennis Kucinich lost the Ohio primary election for the first time in 16 years.
– Spring has sprung! It’s my favorite time of the year to stuff my face with chocolates made into all sorts of adorable (though not particularly vegan) shapes – like eggs and bunnies! I always feel a little guilty when my chocolate bunny no longer has ears, and then even worse when he no longer has a head, but that only lasts so long, as he soon completely disappears into my belly. Vegansaurus has a roundup of some vegan-friendly candy companies to complete your Easter basket (or for whatever secular reason you have for devouring pounds of chocolate).
– Jews are in the house! We blogged about HEB’s local kosher section. Allison’s Gourmet has a great post up about a compassionate passover. Mayim Bialik (better know as the star of the TV show Blossom) launched a new center for Jewish vegans, The Shamayim V’Aretz Institute. The LA Times had an interesting article about how you should honor Queen Esther by going vegan for Purim – I think that sounds like a great idea!
– The most exciting news to come out of Natural Products Expo West – awesome Austin vegan company Food for Lovers launched 3 new products! The new products include a mild version of their already amazing queso (targeted at big wimps like myself), a chipotle mayo, and a country gravy. I’m going to get a head start on my spring cleaning, and make some room in my kitchen cupboards for all these amazing new products!