– Green Island Catering announced their Third Annual Vegan Party Barge! Save the date for Saturday, September 1st. I missed the boat last time (pun intended), but I won’t let that happen again! Space is limited, so make sure to secure your spot by following the instructions on the invite on Facebook.
– Feeling active this summer? Vegan or veg-friendly? Join the Tofu Power kickball team! The season starts in mid-July and games are on Sundays in South Austin. They need 20 players to complete a team, so sign up today!
– Wheatsville announced their plan to launch a 2nd location in South Austin on South Lamar. This second store is just the start of Wheatsville’s expansion plans, and they hope to have as many as 5 Wheatsville locations open within the next 10-15 years. There will no longer be a popcorn tofu shortage in South Austin.
– Christy Morgan (aka The Blissful Chef) is moving to Austin! She wrote all about the upcoming move, and how great Austin is, on her blog TheBlissfulChef.com. Christy and her awesome cooking skills will be an exciting addition to the Austin vegan scene. I look forward to taking one of her cooking classes some day soon.
– The next ATX Vegan Drinks will be on Friday, June 8th at Cheer Up Charlies! We’re so excited to have Rabbit Food Grocery and Capital City Bakery join us again this month! As always, there will be tons of food to choose from, as well as alcoholic and non-alcoholic drink specials. RSVP on Facebook, and make sure to come by and say hi to me!
Every once in a while a product comes along that just blows me away. A friend pointed out Chocolate Zico in the grocery store the other day, and compared it to Yoo-hoo. I never liked Yoo-hoo, so I was skeptical at first, but Chocolate Zico proved to be amazing. It’s chocolatey, coconuty, salty, sweet – even my husband who doesn’t eat chocolate went back for extra sips. It’s magic in a bottle!
I’d been hearing about a couple of vegan honey alternatives for a while now, but hadn’t found any in Austin. That was until last week, when I found honey flavored agave from Sohgave at Wheatsville. It seems like this product has been out for a while, but maybe other people have missed its release like I did – or maybe it’s new at Wheatsville. Whatever the case may be, I’m glad I found it, and I’m sure you will be too. It’s perfect for adding to tea, making baklava, or drizzling over anything! Update: Rabbit Food Grocery now carries Bee Free Honee. I went from having no vegan honey, to having two vegan honeys – this must be my week!
The Vegg – the world’s first vegan egg yolk – has finally been released. It’s available through Vegan Essentials, Pangea, Food Fight Grocery, and a host of other online groceries. It’s great for french toast, hollandaise sauce, frittata, custard, the list goes on. And 10% of the proceeds go towards our friends over at Compassion Over Killing!
Magic melting vegan cheese maker Daiya introduced a new line of cheese wedges at Expo West, including a jack, cheddar and jalepeño garlic havarti style wedge. The line will launch April 1st – but at least one online grocery already has it in stock. I checked with Rabbit Food Grocery, Wheatsville and the downtown Whole Foods to see if they had any early shipments, but none of them currently stock it. Be sure to let me know if you see them around town – I can’t wait to get my hands on these babies and make vegan fried cheese sticks! Update: Wheatsville and the downtown Whole Foods have both started carrying the new Daiya wedges – yay!!