Eating Vegan at Alamo Drafthouse
Alamo Drafthouse Cinema is a popular chain of dine-in movie theaters that started out here in Austin, and is rapidly expanding throughout the country, with locations everywhere from Yonkers to Kalamazoo. While many movie theaters, including the Alamo Drafthouse, serve popcorn that is accidentally vegan, food is a huge part of the Alamo experience, and the chain offers a lot more than the handful of snacks that are available at a typical movie theater.
Most Alamo Drafthouse locations in Austin now include a vegan menu insert, with the following menu items clearly marked as vegan:
Alamo Drafthouse vegan menu:
- Crispy Buffalo Cauliflower**
- BBQ Mushroom Sliders
- Thai Tofu Pizza
- Mexican Tofu Quinoa Bowl
- Tofu, Quinoa, & Roasted Vegetable Bowl
In addition to the dedicated vegan menu items, many items on the regular menu are easily veganizable with a few substitutions. A huge thanks to Zane, vegan Alamo Drafthouse staffer extraordinaire, who helped us put together the following list of vegan options available at Alamo locations all over town. (Note: The menu does change often, and without notice, so while we do our best to keep this list up-to-date, it’s a good idea to inform your server that you are vegan, as they will mark that on the kitchen ticket.)
- Bottomless Popcorn*
- Baked Pretzel (no queso, sub dijon mustard for honey mustard)
- French Fries** (with ketchup)
- Charred Tomato Salsa & Chips
- Roasted Garlic Hummus Dip
- Veggie and Fruit Plate
Salads and Wraps:
Note: These options are available as either a salad or a wrap. You can pick tofu as your protein, or leave them plain. The only non-vegan dressings are the lemon basil vinaigrette (see below), the Caesar, and the balsamic vinaigrette (contains honey).
- Greek (no feta, and request no pesto in the dressing: the lemon basil vinaigrette is pesto mixed with lemon vinaigrette)
- Mexican (no cotija)
- Asian (sub peanuts for wontons)
- Side Salad
Note: Some of these pizzas come with multiple types of cheese, so you may want to make it clear that you mean “no cheese of any kind”, and not just “no mozzarella”. The gluten-free pizza crust unfortunately has eggs.
- Spinach & Feta (no cheese)
- Brussels Sprout (no cheese, no bacon)
- Mushroom & Caramelized Onion (no cheese)
- The Omnivore (no pepperoni, no cheese)
- Sesame Seared Salmon Salad (no wonton, sub tofu for salmon)
Burgers and Sandwiches:
Note: The burger buns are no longer vegan (contains egg), and the Texas toast contains eggs as well. You’ll want to order your burger/sandwich on sourdough or ciabatta bread, and request oil instead of butter for your bread. Locations in Austin currently serve Goodseed as their veggie burger option (which is vegan & gluten-free). The gluten-free buns have egg, but you can always get the burger in a lettuce wrap, or as a bowl (on a bed of mixed greens). You can get any of these with tofu as your protein too. We realize that ordering a “Spicy Blue Cheese” burger with no blue cheese sounds pretty silly: each burger comes with many toppings besides the ones called out in its name; check the descriptions in the menu for more details.
- Avocado & Pesto (no pesto)
- Royale with Cheese Burger (no bacon, no cheddar, no mayo)
- Spicy Blue Cheese Burger (no blue cheese, no mayo)
- Hatch Green Chile Burger (no queso)
- Grilled Vegetable Sandwich (no pesto, no herb cheese)
- Spaghetti Squash Pomodoro
Summer Food Specials:
- Chicken Shawarma Wrap (no tzatziki, sub tofu for chicken)
- Sour Patch Kids
* In case you’re curious – the ‘real butter’ topping you can add is indeed real butter – so don’t add that. According to an Alamo Drafthouse staffer, the popcorn is made with corn, oil, and Flavacol popcorn seasoning. We wrote to Gold Medal, the makers of Flavacol, to confirm that the artificial butter flavoring in Flavacol is not animal-derived, and they replied: “The Flavacol popcorn seasoning salt is Vegan friendly – containing no animal and/or derivatives of animal products.”
** In Austin, Alamo Drafthouse has dedicated veggie fryers at all locations except the Village.
This list is specific to the Alamo Drafthouse locations in Austin (and not all menu items will be available at all locations), but all Alamo Drafthouse locations maintain a set menu, so while you should always double check to make sure that another kitchen doesn’t do things a little differently, this list is a great starting point. So head on over to your nearest Alamo Drafthouse location, enjoy a meal with your movie, and remember: don’t talk during the movie… or Ann Richards will take your ass out.